For thousands of years we have been told of the power of prayer. Lately that has been replaced by the more secular language of “manifesting” made popular by movies like The Secret and What the Bleep. Whether you take an old-school religious approach or are guided by concepts like attraction, intention, and energy, the process is similar and the results can be amazing.
The very first time I tried this I asked the Universe to reveal her true beauty to me. That day I met the women who is now my wife. Pretty cool, huh?
Before we begin let’s get the disclaimers and warnings out of the way. The first one is the most obvious, and it may sound trite.
1. Be careful what you wish for: Once I asked the Universe where the core of my suffering might be and the next day I was riding around in an ambulance, unable to even walk.When I asked for a demonstration of the Universe’s generosity and abundance I spent an entire day shoveling a surfeit of chicken poo. There is an old joke about the guy who was granted a wish by a genie. He ended up with legs that were 2 inches long. While he was now well-endowed enough that it dragged on the ground when he walked, the result was not at all what he had in mind.
The second disclaimer often keeps me from writing or talking about my experiences with the divine/numinous because it is such a personal thing for each of us.
2. Higher Power terminology: I usually refer to my higher power as the Universe. Your higher power could be God, Allah, your inner wisdom, or whatever you choose. Please do not be offended by the language used here. Use whatever name your god answers to, OK? And if you would rather just read about chickens then skip this.
So here is how I work with the Universe to make my wishes come true.
How to make a wish and let it come true for you
1. Connect to the higher power within you and around you. Stop everything you are doing and acknowledge your divine nature. You are a unique and perfectly flawed expression of god’s love. The spirit inside of you is part of the whole. It connects you in ways that you will probably never understand to everything and everyone. Where and how you do this is up to you. If you feel closest to god under a tree, in front of an altar, or in a church go there. If you have ever had a numinous experience, consider it so that you can reinforce the connection you have to the divine. You know what that feeling is. Maybe it was the bliss you felt when your child was born, the awe of a sunset, the satisfaction of being in the flow and creating something beyond your capabilities, the act of a guardian angel who for some reason kept you from harm, or a glimpse between dimensions that revealed a new way of looking at the world. Whatever it takes to feel that energy inside of you, do it.
2. Make a wish. A word on co-creation. I like to think of the Universe as an architect while I am the laborer. All of the leg work is mine. Wishing that I would make a million dollars is not going to be as effective as working to make a million dollars. And if the Universe is the architect, the plans call for peace and love. Wishing for harm to befall your enemies will probably just harm you because it is not part of the big picture. However, if you make a wish for the wisdom, strength, or tools to advance the Universe’s agenda the Universe will be happy for the help and come to your aid. Here are a few examples of wishes and how they can be improved.
- I wish so-and-so would fall in love with me. Help me feel and share the love that is the Universe.
- I wish I had curly hair/weighed 50 pounds less/whatever. Reveal to me my true and unique beauty and help me realize Your image of my perfection.
- I wish I had a million dollars. Grant me a sense of abundance and stability as I work to do Your will.
You get the idea.
3. Let it go. This is the hard part for me. I tend to hold my wants and needs close to my chest. Sometimes it is out of fear that I will not get it, other times it is out of fear that I will get it. Whatever my resistance, I need to overcome it so I can let the wish go, like a balloon. I will continue to do the legwork to prepare, and I will be open to the infinite possibilities, but only when I let it go does the Universe know that I understand and respect her power to create. When I get out of the way the magic can happen.
So, I wish you happy manifesting. Let me know how it goes.